Orono High School
Orono High School is located in central Maine in the town of Orono, 4 hours north of Boston. It is the perfect environment for studying! Maine is known for its glorious coastline and its vast wilderness. Orono is one hour from Acadia National Park and Baxter State Park. A university town, it is home to many eateries, theaters, athletic venues and shopping centers. Orono’s safety, welcoming community, and academic focus make it the ideal place to study.
Orono is a beautiful and thriving community located on the shores of the beautiful Stillwater and Penobscot Rivers. It is home to the University of Maine‘s flagship campus, numerous successful businesses, a network of panoramic walking trails and preserves, and a strong Parks and Recreation Department.
RSU #26 serves approximately 800 students in Pre-K through high school. Our students hail from Orono and the surrounding region. Asa C. Adams School, Orono Middle School and Orono High School are located on a single campus in the heart of downtown Orono, Maine. Our community is diverse and made up of proud and thrifty Mainers who are passionate about education and providing the very best for their young people. Orono High School is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc., a nationally recognized organization.
In our schools we take the work of preparing young people to be successful in a rapidly changing world very seriously. Thus, our faculty and staff work diligently to provide personalized and rewarding learning experiences for our young people. We believe students’ success requires far more than mere academic readiness, and in response we work hard to infuse the learning of important reasoning skills and our Orono Schools’ core principles: respect, caring, service, responsibility, honesty, courage, and fairness into all of our student programs and activities.
Orono was recently distinguished by the state of Maine as a high performing high school; in fact U.S. News and World Report recognized OHS as a top ten high school in the state of Maine, and in the top 3% of high schools in the United States. OHS reached an all-time high in tests administered and our scores were exceptional. We have a passionate faculty and an incredible student body.
Over the past several years the school has seen major improvements in both our programs and facility. The MUSE program doubled our participation in the arts, and our AP offerings continue to climb with this year’s addition of AP Physics. Our “Graduation with Distinction” program is growing, and we continue to have well over an 80% participation rate in our co-curricular programs.
Orono High School is accepting applications for international students who would like to spend their sophomore, junior or senior year studying at a premier public high school. Our program is designed to give students an early college experience and to expose them to life as an American high school student. Carefully designed course schedules; a safe environment; interaction with the local community; and opportunities for volunteering, the arts, and athletics make Orono High School a great place to be.
- Estimated Start DateLate August
- Estimated End DateEarly June
- Number of Students485
- Student PopulationCo-ed
- Teacher Student Ratio16:5
- Average Class Size14
- Teachers with Advanced Degreesunknown
- ESL ProgramsYes
- AP Classes26
- Tests AcceptedTOEFL
- School UniformCasual Dress Code
- Year Established1915
- Campus Size200 acres
- Foreign Languages OfferedChinese, Spanish, French, German, Latin, Japanese, Italian
- ArtsChorus, Stillwater Community Arts
- AP CoursesAP English Literature & Composition, AP English language and Composition, AP U.S. History, AP World History, AP European History, AP U.S. Government & Politics , AP Human Geography, AP Comparative Government & Politics, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Psychology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Computer Science,AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP Physics I, AP Physics II, AP Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism, AP Statistics, AP Biology, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Studio Art 2-D Design, AP Studio Art 3-D Design, AP Studio Art Drawing, AP Art History, AP Music Theory, AP Chinese Language & Culture, AP French Language & Culture, AP German Language & Culture, AP Italian Language & Culture, AP Japanese Language & Culture, AP Latin Language & Culture, AP Spanish Language & Culture, AP Spanish Literature & Culture
- ActivitiesDrama, Musicals, Stage Band, Student Council, International Clubs, Math Team, Art Club, GoActive Club, Yearbook, School Newspaper, School Literary Magazine, Key Club, Speech & Debate, Spanish Club, French Club, Chess Club
- Sports OfferedFootball, Soccer, Field Hockey, Cross-Country, Golf, Cheering, Ice Hockey, Track, Swimming, Diving, Cross Country Skiing, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Tennis
- SAT Averageunknown
- University Acceptance Rate100%